Thursday, August 1, 2013

a purse

Yesterday I went to Costco with my sister-in-law, Morgan, who I love and my dear friend, Erin. It was a great time, and having Elise and Brady sitting next to each other attracted a lot of attention.  We heard a story about a woman and her grown twins and we were asked so many times if they were twins that Erin just started telling people they were.


The whole point of the Costco story, however, isn't about the kids.  Rather, about my purse.  I went to Costco which is 20 minutes away--without a diaper bag.  Bringing Up Bebe talked a little about how American moms feel the need to bring so much stuff and it can be quite smothering to their kids. I could feel myself being that mom who was constantly offering this toy and that book.  It was getting exhausting.  I don't want Elise to need constant stimulation from me.  I want her to enjoy her surroundings and experience her environment. Entertain yourself.  Observe what's happening around you.  Instead of my massive diaper bag, I brought this:


Elise doesn't need 15 toys, five diapers, three books, a bottle, snacks, ECT...for a Costco trip.  A road trip to Virginia, maybe, but not to Costco or for the vast majority of our outings. This little beauty came with one diaper, wipes a few crackers and one small toy.  And guess what?  My little girl was totally content and happy---the whole time.  No monster momma bag needed!  Joy was mine and I am so glad I learned this momma secret now rather than later.  Babies are a lot lower maintenance than we give them credit.

Until tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment