Monday, July 29, 2013

reading

When Taylor and I were dating he told me that he wanted to be a reader.  He wanted to be the guy who had lots of books and who read all the time.  After three years of being married--he is that guy.  Right now I think he is reading 5 (ish) books simultaneously.  I love this about him.  

1. That he isn't a talker--he is a do-er.

2. That he reads a lot.

In my Children's Literature class at BYU-I, my professor told us that the most powerful reading influence a child can have is if the child sees their father, not mother, reading often.  Mmmm.  I love my husband.

Yesterday, I downloaded a highly recommended book called Bringing up Bebe.




I'm about 50 pages into it and really enjoying it. It's an American mothers comparison of parenting differences in America and France.  So far, my favorite nugget is this:

“When I asked French parents how they disciplined their children, it took them a few beats just to understand what I meant. “Ah, you mean how do we educate them?” they asked. “Discipline,” I soon realized, is a narrow, seldom-used notion that deals with punishment. Whereas “educating” (which has nothing to do with school) is something they imagined themselves to be doing all the time."

I love the perspective this give me and it makes me more hopeful that raising children will be a positive growing and learning experience for both of us.

Being a wife and a mother are the greatest callings I could imagine having.  I am fulfilled by my family and grateful for their companionship here on the earth.  I am grateful that I am sealed to them for eternity.

Until Tomorrow.











No comments:

Post a Comment