Friday, July 19, 2013

ribbons and curls and all things little girls


Anyone who knows me well or who has spent any amount of time around me since having Elise knows that I would be devastated if she was a tom-boy.  Being a tom-boy isn't a bad thing.  It's just a bad thing for a mom like me.

My own childhood was so rich with imagination, make believe, dress-up, dolls, princesses, nail polish (my aunt Laura told me I couldn't paint my nails red because, "Red is for women." And wow, did that make me want red a million times more), clip on earrings (I had to wait until I was 10 to pierce my own...maybe that's why I pierced Elise's at three months??).  Anyway, the point is I LOVED BEING A GIRL.  I had girl oozing out of me and I have been anticipating all the girl things I will get to do with Elise since I found out she was going to be a "she"!

I am happy to report that things are looking good for me.  It's hard to know when kids are babies because they don't show a whole lot of preference when it comes to toys.  But yesterday while I was getting ready in the bathroom, Lise waddled in carrying her baby doll in the crook of her arm.  She walked right up to my legs and stuck her own baby arms out for me to pick her up.  And there we were, mom and baby, baby and doll, kissing and cuddling.  And so the angels sang down and thoughts of tea parties and pretend weddings danced in my head.



I think we're going to get along just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment